|About the Book|
The house of regular canons of the order of St Augustine, originally founded at Embsay in 1120-21, was refounded at Bolton within forty years. By the early fourteenth century the estate was largely complete, and it was at this point that the lost cartulary was created - roughly contemporary with its Compotus (published in an earlier volume in this series in 2000). Both documents record essential administrative detail, and document legal claims on property. The main evidence for the cartulary derives from the Coucher Book, held at Chatsworth, which is a partial copy with some additional material- and an incomplete transcript made by Roger Dodsworth in the seventeeth century. Also drawn on for this edition are other documents which shed light on the lost cartulary and on the priory: extra transcripts relating to the priory made by Dodsworth, and numerous surviving original charters. The introduction discusses the Order of St Augustine and religious life at the priory, its foundation and connection with Huntingdon priory, and the records the book presents.